Rane proposes Rs 10 lakh compensation for Jaitapur locals
Mumbai: Maharashtra Industries Minister Narayan Rane on Saturday proposed compensation of Rs 10 lakh to each of the families to be affected by Jaitapur nuclear power plant in Ratnagiri district of Konkan region.
"I have proposed Rs 10 lakh compensation (each) for the Jaitapur plant affected people. The compensation package is yet to be finalised by the district collector and I am sure the demand would be considered," Rane, who is also the guardian minister for the district, told reporters here.
Initial compensation offered by the authorities was a mere Rs 46,000, which was later increased to Rs 4.5 lakh, he said.
Rane criticised leftist parties and NGOs opposing the project, questioning their motives.
"The communists and NGOs have nothing to do with the project, or the people there. They are just spreading rumours. There could be some people or organisation behind this opposition, who want to prevent development in Konkan."
As to Shiv Sena, his former party, Rane said its opposition to the project lacked "intensity". In fact, Sena leaders from Konkan, Suresh Prabhu and Anant Gite had helped bring the project to Konkan, he claimed.
The government is planning to set up a fund of Rs 25 crore, from which money would be disbursed to project-affected persons in the area every year, he said.
Rane is going to visit Jaitapur on January 29.
About 938 hectares of land has been acquired for the project and 550 families are affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma team up with India's first transgender band
- Matt Damon is back, check out terrific 'Jason Bourne' poster!
- '4 am airport spotting', Neha Dhupia slays in Sepia!-- See pic
- Chinese President Xi Jinping urges caution over US missile deployment in South Korea
- 7th Pay Commission: Auto makers expect spurt in sales