Rane proposes Rs 10 lakh compensation for Jaitapur locals
Mumbai: Maharashtra Industries Minister Narayan Rane on Saturday proposed compensation of Rs 10 lakh to each of the families to be affected by Jaitapur nuclear power plant in Ratnagiri district of Konkan region.
"I have proposed Rs 10 lakh compensation (each) for the Jaitapur plant affected people. The compensation package is yet to be finalised by the district collector and I am sure the demand would be considered," Rane, who is also the guardian minister for the district, told reporters here.
Initial compensation offered by the authorities was a mere Rs 46,000, which was later increased to Rs 4.5 lakh, he said.
Rane criticised leftist parties and NGOs opposing the project, questioning their motives.
"The communists and NGOs have nothing to do with the project, or the people there. They are just spreading rumours. There could be some people or organisation behind this opposition, who want to prevent development in Konkan."
As to Shiv Sena, his former party, Rane said its opposition to the project lacked "intensity". In fact, Sena leaders from Konkan, Suresh Prabhu and Anant Gite had helped bring the project to Konkan, he claimed.
The government is planning to set up a fund of Rs 25 crore, from which money would be disbursed to project-affected persons in the area every year, he said.
Rane is going to visit Jaitapur on January 29.
About 938 hectares of land has been acquired for the project and 550 families are affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof