Rane`s son launches `vada` to counter Sena burger
Mumbai: A staple teatime snack of
Maharashtra, the `Vadapav`, has now become a `burger` of
contention in local politics, eight months ahead of the
crucial Mumbai civic body elections.
Nitesh Rane, son of senior Congress minister Narayan
Rane, today launched the `Chhatrapati Vadapav`, to counter the
`Shiv Vada` brand launched by Shiv Sena.
"We will set up our stalls wherever there are Shiv Vada
Pav stalls. If BMC removes our stalls, they will have to
remove those stalls as well," he said.
Easy to prepare, quick to serve, vadapav is made of
mashed potatoes, dipped in gramflour batter and fried. It is
served in a bun with a red chilli-garlic powder, green chutney
paste and a helping of sweet tamarind chutney.
Vadapavs are consumed daily by hungry Mumbaikars, craving
a quick, cheap and filling snack.
The non-profit organisation, Swabhimaan, led by Nitesh
Rane launched its first outlet of Chhatrapati Vadapav at
Powai, opposite an outlet recently inaugurated by Shiv Sena
executive president Uddhav Thackeray.
The over 100 Shiv Vada stalls in the city are mired in
controversy with allegations that they lack permission of the
"Sena stalls are illegal and have violated development
rules," Nitesh said.
In 1966, when the Sena was formed, party chief Bal
Thackeray had encouraged Marathi people to set up vadapav
stalls. In November 2008, the Sena held a vadapav competition
here and the best recipe was branded as `Shiv Vada`.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know