Rane`s son launches `vada` to counter Sena burger
Mumbai: A staple teatime snack of
Maharashtra, the `Vadapav`, has now become a `burger` of
contention in local politics, eight months ahead of the
crucial Mumbai civic body elections.
Nitesh Rane, son of senior Congress minister Narayan
Rane, today launched the `Chhatrapati Vadapav`, to counter the
`Shiv Vada` brand launched by Shiv Sena.
"We will set up our stalls wherever there are Shiv Vada
Pav stalls. If BMC removes our stalls, they will have to
remove those stalls as well," he said.
Easy to prepare, quick to serve, vadapav is made of
mashed potatoes, dipped in gramflour batter and fried. It is
served in a bun with a red chilli-garlic powder, green chutney
paste and a helping of sweet tamarind chutney.
Vadapavs are consumed daily by hungry Mumbaikars, craving
a quick, cheap and filling snack.
The non-profit organisation, Swabhimaan, led by Nitesh
Rane launched its first outlet of Chhatrapati Vadapav at
Powai, opposite an outlet recently inaugurated by Shiv Sena
executive president Uddhav Thackeray.
The over 100 Shiv Vada stalls in the city are mired in
controversy with allegations that they lack permission of the
"Sena stalls are illegal and have violated development
rules," Nitesh said.
In 1966, when the Sena was formed, party chief Bal
Thackeray had encouraged Marathi people to set up vadapav
stalls. In November 2008, the Sena held a vadapav competition
here and the best recipe was branded as `Shiv Vada`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read