Rane`s son launches `vada` to counter Sena burger
Mumbai: A staple teatime snack of
Maharashtra, the `Vadapav`, has now become a `burger` of
contention in local politics, eight months ahead of the
crucial Mumbai civic body elections.
Nitesh Rane, son of senior Congress minister Narayan
Rane, today launched the `Chhatrapati Vadapav`, to counter the
`Shiv Vada` brand launched by Shiv Sena.
"We will set up our stalls wherever there are Shiv Vada
Pav stalls. If BMC removes our stalls, they will have to
remove those stalls as well," he said.
Easy to prepare, quick to serve, vadapav is made of
mashed potatoes, dipped in gramflour batter and fried. It is
served in a bun with a red chilli-garlic powder, green chutney
paste and a helping of sweet tamarind chutney.
Vadapavs are consumed daily by hungry Mumbaikars, craving
a quick, cheap and filling snack.
The non-profit organisation, Swabhimaan, led by Nitesh
Rane launched its first outlet of Chhatrapati Vadapav at
Powai, opposite an outlet recently inaugurated by Shiv Sena
executive president Uddhav Thackeray.
The over 100 Shiv Vada stalls in the city are mired in
controversy with allegations that they lack permission of the
"Sena stalls are illegal and have violated development
rules," Nitesh said.
In 1966, when the Sena was formed, party chief Bal
Thackeray had encouraged Marathi people to set up vadapav
stalls. In November 2008, the Sena held a vadapav competition
here and the best recipe was branded as `Shiv Vada`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets