Rape accused gets bail, wants to marry victim
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has granted bail to a 20-year-old youth arrested for allegedly raping a 16-year-old girl after both of them told the court that they were in a relationship and would like to get married.
The accused was arrested on February 21, 2013, by the Nalasopara police after receiving a complaint from the victim`s mother that her daughter was missing.
The victim, a Class X student, had gone missing on February 18 and was found with the accused three days later.
The victim, who is six months` pregnant now, told the police that she and the accused were in a relation since childhood and had given her consent for sexual relationship.
The accused was, however, booked for rape under IPC as the consent of a minor girl (below 18 years of age) is not considered as consent given in law.
He then approached the High Court seeking bail and said that he wanted to be with the girl during delivery of their child.
Justice Sadhana Jadhav, while granting bail recently, observed that the applicant has not denied paternity of the child. "Even the mother of the victim had earlier filed an application seeking to quash the complaint against the applicant so as to get them (victim and accused) married. In these circumstances, the applicant has made out a prima facie case for bail," the court said. The accused has been granted bail on a surety of Rs 15,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened