Rape cases are on the rise due to women wearing less clothes: Abu Azmi
Mumbai: In another outrageous comment by a politician against women post the Delhi gang-rape case, Mumbai head of the Samajwadi Party Abu Azmi said on Tuesday that the freedom that women have to move around freely with men should be curtailed.
"Women should not venture out with men who are not relatives," Azmi, a member of Maharashtra assembly, said here.
"What is the need for roaming at night with men who are not relatives? This should be stopped," he said.
"Such incidents (like the Delhi gang-rape) happen due to influence of western culture," Azmi said.
Scantily-clad women attract male attention, Azmi said adding rape cases are on the rise due to "women wearing less clothes."
And in a statement which sounded like the comment made by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat, Abu Azmi said that rapes were lesser in rural areas than in urban areas because there was less influence of western culture there.
"The number of rape cases in villages are less (compared to cities)," he said.
Azmi added, "if a girl goes with her consent with him (boy friend) to a hotel and does not complain, then it is not an issue. But if the same girl goes with the boy to the hotel and no one knows what happens inside...And if the girl comes out and complains, he would be hanged," Azmi said.
The SP leader also blamed Hindi cinema for increasing crime against women. He said that the nudity that is shown in films must be taken cognizance of.
Meanwhile, while talking to CNN-IBN Abu Azmi’s son, Farhan Azmi apologised and expressed regret over the statement made by his father.
“We need to have a proper dialogue with the previous generation,” he said.
At the same time he added, “This rape issue is very condemnable.”
He also said, “Certain things that my father said was slightly Islamic and we do not want to impose this on anybody,” he said adding “I completely agree that my father made a wrong statement. The words he chose were misplaced.”
“Somewhere there is disconnect between my generation and my father`s generation.”
In the same vein he added, “I think 70 percent of men feel that women today are crossing the line.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh