Rape victim dies after struggle for life in Beed
Beed: The 17-year-old girl, who set
herself afire after being allegedly raped by her father`s
former employer, died in a hospital on Saturday after battling
for life for over a week.
District Civil Surgeon D B Pawar told PTI that the girl,
admitted to Civil Hospital on April 10, breathed her last this
morning here in central Maharashtra.
The victim`s father used to work at a farm of the prime
accused Babulal Rasal. He had borrowed some money from Rasal,
a former Deputy Sarpanch of Churmapuri village who is
considered close to Nationalist Congress Party (NCP).
On April 4, Rasal and his accomplice Narayan Kale
allegedly abducted the girl and raped her for a week, taking
her to lodges in various cities, according to the police.
On April 10, the accused dropped the girl at Rampur
village where she lived. She did not reveal anything to her
family members about the incident, but on the same day tried
to end her life by pouring kerosene and setting herself
ablaze, police said.
She suffered 95 per cent burn injuries and was admitted
to the hospital.
The news of her death created tension in various parts of
the district though no untoward incident was reported.
Shiv Sena MLC Neelam Gorhe had earlier visited the victim
and her family and demanded a CID probe into the incident.
Yesterday, senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde, who is Lok Sabha
MP from Beed, and his daughter Pankaja Palve met the teenager
in the hospital.
A group of women threw eggs and tomatoes on both the
accused when they were being produced before a local court
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar