Ration cards can be linked with Aadhar cards: Maha to HC
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Monday told the Bombay High Court that though ration cards could be linked with the newly introduced Aadhar cards, it was not possible to appoint a nodal agency to supervise the verification process.
A division bench of Justices AM Khanwilkar and KK Tated was hearing a public interest litigation filed by one Jayprakash Unecha two years back on the issue of bogus ration cards.
The court had on the last hearing directed the government to consider linking ration cards with Aadhar cards so as to weed out bogus and duplicate ration cards in the state.
Additional public prosecutor Aruna Kamat Pai today told the court that linking ration cards and Aadhar cards was possible and is under consideration of the state government.
"Since the data process entry of Aadhar cards is still on, it is possible to verify such entries with ration cards. But it is not possible to appoint a nodal agency to do so," she said.
Issuing notice to the additional solicitor general of India Kevic Setalvad for assistance in the case, the court adjourned the hearing till February 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal