Ration cards can be linked with Aadhar cards: Maha to HC
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Monday told the Bombay High Court that though ration cards could be linked with the newly introduced Aadhar cards, it was not possible to appoint a nodal agency to supervise the verification process.
A division bench of Justices AM Khanwilkar and KK Tated was hearing a public interest litigation filed by one Jayprakash Unecha two years back on the issue of bogus ration cards.
The court had on the last hearing directed the government to consider linking ration cards with Aadhar cards so as to weed out bogus and duplicate ration cards in the state.
Additional public prosecutor Aruna Kamat Pai today told the court that linking ration cards and Aadhar cards was possible and is under consideration of the state government.
"Since the data process entry of Aadhar cards is still on, it is possible to verify such entries with ration cards. But it is not possible to appoint a nodal agency to do so," she said.
Issuing notice to the additional solicitor general of India Kevic Setalvad for assistance in the case, the court adjourned the hearing till February 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi