Rehab boards, trauma teams for rape victims in Maharashtra
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Monday told the Bombay High Court that it would form `rehabilitation boards` and `trauma teams` in every district to offer support to the victims of rape, sexual assault and acid attack, in keeping with its newly-introduced `Manodhariya` (morale) policy.
The court, hearing a Public Interest Litigation filed by Forum Against Oppression of Women, had asked the government to state what policy it had framed for rehabilitating victims of sexual assault and other crimes targeting women.
These measures are in addition to the compensation ranging from Rs 50,000 to three lakhs payable to the victims under the policy, according a government resolution of October 21, issued by Women and Child Development Department.
As a copy of the GR was produced today, the bench headed by Justice P V Hardas adjourned the matter to November 25.
A compensation of Rs three lakh would be paid to the victim immediately in the cases of rape and serious injuries in acid attacks. For less serious cases, Rs two lakh would be given -- half the amount after filing of FIR and the rest after filing of chargesheet.
`District Criminal Injuries and Rehabilitation Board` would be formed to decide the nature and intensity of the offence so that a suitable compensation could be paid.
Police officer in charge of Police Stations, on registration of FIR, shall inform the President of the Board about the offence.
`Trauma team` consisting of a female counsellor, medical officers, support persons and police personnel would visit the victim.
Under the Manodhariya policy, the victims are entitled to free services of psychiatrists.
For rehabilitation, whenever necessary, the victims would be provided with accommodation, counselling, medical aid, legal help and vocational training, the GR says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read