Reimburse funds to private, unaided schools for SC/ST students: HC
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Tuesday directed the Maharashtra government to reimburse private-funded and unaided schools across the state for education of students belonging to Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes under the Right to Education Act.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice N M Jamdar directed the government to disburse funds from the academic year 2010-11 irrespective of the income of the students` parents.
"The government shall pay Rs 10,000 per child per year from Class one to four and then Rs 25,000 from Class five to eight per child per year. The reimbursement process shall be done by May 2013," the court said today.
The bench was hearing a public interest litigation filed by Naresh Gosavi and several other parents whose children are studying in private-aided and unaided schools under the "free studentship".
According to petitioners since the government has failed to release grants under RTE to the schools, the children are being prohibited from attending school.
Under RTE, the amount for students of Class nine and ten is only Rs 3,600 per child per year.
The high court said the funds have to be disbursed for students irrespective of the income of the parent since the government had earlier suggested that it would be considering checking the Income Tax filed by persons from the reserved category before granting benefits under the SC and ST Act.
The government had contended that there were IAS officers belonging to SC/ST who admit their children in expensive private schools and expect the benefits to be extended.
Gayatri Singh and Kranti L C, advocates for the petitioner, had argued that the government had stopped disbursement of fees since 2007 due to which several students have dropped out of school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced