Relief for Setalvad from Mumbai court
Mumbai: A Sessions court on Thursday granted
`transit` anticipatory bail to activist Teesta Setalvad.
Setalvad had moved the court on Tuesday, seeking relief
after the Gujarat High court upheld a magistrate`s order
directing police investigation against her for allegedly
creating false evidence, in connection with 2002 Gujarat riot
With the relief, Setalvad would not be arrested till
she goes to Gujarat and approaches a court there.
Setalvad said she apprehended arrest in Mumbai though the
offences were registered or likely to be registered in
"A case has been filed and while the case does not
explicitly named the applicant, there is a reasonable belief
of imminent arrest," the court order said.
Gujarat High Court on July 1 ordered investigations into
allegations levelled by her former associate Rais Khan that
Setalvad and other members of her organisation fabricated
evidence in cases including Naroda Patiya massacre related to
the 2002 Gujarat riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit
- Barack Obama says UK committed to 'orderly transition' out of EU
- Islamic State captures 900 Kurdish civilians in north Syria in 3 weeks
- 33 killed in renewed clashes across Yemen
- 'North Korea now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches'