Remove Thackeray memorial: BMC to Shiv Sena
Mumbai: In what is likely to trigger a political war in Mumbai, reports on Tuesday claimed that the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has sent a notice to Shiv Sena asking it to immediately remove the temporary structure of its founder late Bal Thackeray erected at the Shivaji Park.
According to reports, the notice was served to the party on Monday night to Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut and Mayor Sunil Prabhu.
The decision was taken after a petition seeking demolition of the structure was submitted to the Bombay High Court by a little known organisation, Bahujan Lead Union of Educated.
The BMC, too, had filed a caveat before the court demanding that it be heard before any decision is taken.
The temporary structure was erected on November 18 at the park to perform the last rites of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray.
“We have served a notice to Sanjay Raut and Sunil Prabhu, who were applicants in the matter to allow a funeral at Shivaji Park. We have directed them to remove the structure immediately or stringent legal action will be taken against them. The structure is illegal and stands in violation of the order which approved the funeral,” said Municipal Commissioner Sitaram Kunte.
Ambedkar’s death anniversary falls on December 6 and the civic body and the Mumbai Police are bracing themselves to manage an estimated two-lakh strong gathering at Shivaji Park.
The park, which is also the birthplace of Sena, was made the final resting place for the party’s patriarch in a first of its kind public cremation carried out in Mumbai post-Independence.
The Municipal Commissioner then used his special powers to grant the permission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review