Remove Thackeray memorial: BMC to Shiv Sena
Mumbai: In what is likely to trigger a political war in Mumbai, reports on Tuesday claimed that the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has sent a notice to Shiv Sena asking it to immediately remove the temporary structure of its founder late Bal Thackeray erected at the Shivaji Park.
According to reports, the notice was served to the party on Monday night to Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut and Mayor Sunil Prabhu.
The decision was taken after a petition seeking demolition of the structure was submitted to the Bombay High Court by a little known organisation, Bahujan Lead Union of Educated.
The BMC, too, had filed a caveat before the court demanding that it be heard before any decision is taken.
The temporary structure was erected on November 18 at the park to perform the last rites of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray.
“We have served a notice to Sanjay Raut and Sunil Prabhu, who were applicants in the matter to allow a funeral at Shivaji Park. We have directed them to remove the structure immediately or stringent legal action will be taken against them. The structure is illegal and stands in violation of the order which approved the funeral,” said Municipal Commissioner Sitaram Kunte.
Ambedkar’s death anniversary falls on December 6 and the civic body and the Mumbai Police are bracing themselves to manage an estimated two-lakh strong gathering at Shivaji Park.
The park, which is also the birthplace of Sena, was made the final resting place for the party’s patriarch in a first of its kind public cremation carried out in Mumbai post-Independence.
The Municipal Commissioner then used his special powers to grant the permission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark