Resolution of Kashmir tangle possible: Pervez Musharraf
Mumbai: Former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has said a solution to the Kashmir problem was possible with both the government and military of his country favouring it and deprecated "aspersions" cast on the army for blocking such a move.
The former General, who lives in self-imposed exile in England, also said Pakistan`s nuclear assets were in safe hands and that there was no "finger-on-the-button" situation between Islamabad and New Delhi as nuclear assets were "not mated with the delivery systems".
"Yes, I do believe it (solution to Kashmir) is possible. There have been aspersions cast on the military that it does not want a solution but this is absolutely baseless.
"Everyone including the Mujahedeen want a solution but the solutions differ, the nuances differ. But I would say that any Government of Pakistan and the military would like to have a solution," Musharraf, who was President between 2001 and 2008, said.
Musharraf expressed these views on the TV show "The Outsider" hosted by Tim Sebastian. The show, also featuring senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh, will be telecast on Bloomberg channel at 8 pm on November 10.
To a query on both countries being nuclear powers and apprehensions that they could use nuclear weapons against each other, Musharraf, said, "I would not like the audience or you to go with the idea that the situation on the nuclear issue between India and Pakistan is the same as (was between) the NATO (and) Warsaw Pact (nations), between the USA and the Soviet Union, where it was a finger-on-the-button situation.
"There is no finger-on-the-button here because the nuclear assets are not mated with the delivery systems and therefore it is safe. Pakistan`s nuclear assets are absolutely safe and I know the military will guarantee their safety," he said.
"No foreigner was ever allowed to interfere with our nuclear or missile capability. We have ensured that no one can steal our nuclear weapons," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty