Resolution passed to reinstate civic personnel accused in building collapse
Thane: The Thane Municipal Corporation has passed a resolution to reinstate civic personnel accused in the last year`s Mumbra building collapse which left 74 people dead.
The general body of Thane Municipal Corporation last evening unanimously passed a resolution approving the reinstatement of the civic personnel.
The matter was supported by all party corporators and was declared as passed by Mayor H S Patil, who presided over the meeting.
A total of 27 persons including the builders of the ill-fated structure were charged in the case and of them 24 were arrested while three are still at large.
The officers and employees have been charged with accepting bribe, dereliction of duty and culpable homicide.
Of the nine arrested, three - deputy municipal commissioner Srikant Sarmokdam, assistant municipal commissioner Shyam Thorbhole and driver of a DMC Ramdas Burud - are out on bail.
Those who are still in jail include DMC Deepak Chavan, AMC Babasaheb Andale, executive engineer Subash Rawal, deputy engineer Ramesh Inamdar, senior clerk Kisan Madke and clerk Subash Waghmare.
On 4 April last year, a building collapsed in Mumbra suburb of Thane collapse killing 74 people and leaving more than 60 injured.
The building was under-construction and did not have an occupancy certificate for its 100 to 150 low-to middle-income residents.
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on