‘Revamp law to expedite execution of terrorists’
Mumbai: Former top police officials on Friday
said law should be revamped to expedite the execution of
convicted terrorists and also suggested that police needs to
strengthen their rapport with the people, particularly
minorities, to eradicate terrorism in the country.
Joginder Singh, former CBI director, said the menace of
terrorism can be eradicated if the law is revamped.
"Our judiciary system is still following the old norms.
If convicted terrorists are given immediate punishment, then
most of the problems can be solved," Singh said in a press
meet held at the Mumbai Press Club here.
The conference on topic "Mumbai Secure" was organised to
address the growing sense of threat to the city and the
increasing insecurity felt by the common Mumbaikar who seeks
solutions and answers.
Criticising the "outdated" law, Singh said, "What is the
status of the accused in the 1993 blasts case? Parliament
attacker is still taking rest in the jail. Mumbai terror
attacks accused Mohammed Ajmal Kasab is lodged in the jail and
we are feeding (him) biryani."
Prevention of terror attacks is not a one-day job, Singh
said adding, "Every day policemen have to put in efforts to
gather concrete information with regard to terrorism. This
would not be possible if there is shortage of policemen and
advanced equipment is not available."
Echoing similar view, Julio Ribeiro, former Punjab
Director General of Police, criticised the city police saying
it had lost its direction.
"Now-a-days, every police officer is working on how to
fill their pockets," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in