Right wing member gets bail in Thane blasts case
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday granted bail to Hindu right wing group Sanatan Sanstha member Vikram Bhave, convicted for his alleged involvement in the blasts at theatres and auditoriums in Thane district in 2008.
A division bench of Justices P V Hardas and Mridula Bhatkar granted bail to Bhave on a surety of Rs 20,000, observing that the appeal against his conviction is not likely to be heard soon. The court had last week granted bail to co-accused Ramesh Gadkari too.
In August 2011, the trial court had convicted Bhave and Gadkari under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and Explosives Act. The stringent provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act were dropped by the court. The duo was sentenced to ten years` of imprisonment.
Bhave`s advocate Sanjiv Punalekar today argued that Bhave had spent nearly five years in jail since his arrest in 2008.
In 2008, blasts ripped through Vishnudas Bhave auditorium in Vashi on May 31 and in a parking lot in Thane`s Gadkari Rangayatan on June 4. Before that on February 20, a bomb was recovered at Cineraj Theatre in Panvel which was screening `Jodha Akbar`.
In June 2008, ATS arrested six persons alleged to be members of Sanatan Sanstha. While Gadkari and Bhave were convicted, the remaining four were acquitted by the trial court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door