Rioting case: BJP MLA, 2 Cong corporators among 16 held
Mumbai: Almost a year after allegedly rioting and burning a towing van on the street, a BJP MLA and two Congress corporators, along with their 13 associates, were Monday arrested, police said.
However, the accused were later granted bail by a local court after paying Rs 3000 bail-bond each.
According to police, the BJP MLA from Ghatkopar region Prakash Mehta, Congress corporator Pravin Cheda and former Congress corporator Balchandra Shirsath from the same region were arrested with 13 more party workers this morning.
According to Pant Nagar police, the accused were arrested over a year-old case lodged by the police in which the accused had gathered on te road in front of the police station and burnt a towing van on road.
"On November 2011, one Kirti Mehta (45), a resident of Ghatkopar, was crushed to death by a towing van. After hearing the news of his death, people from Gujarati community, along with the accused, gheraoed the police station and didn`t let the police take the towing van away," said an officer from Pant Nagar police station.
The agitated mob had burnt the towing van on the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan