Rioting case: BJP MLA, 2 Cong corporators among 16 held
Mumbai: Almost a year after allegedly rioting and burning a towing van on the street, a BJP MLA and two Congress corporators, along with their 13 associates, were Monday arrested, police said.
However, the accused were later granted bail by a local court after paying Rs 3000 bail-bond each.
According to police, the BJP MLA from Ghatkopar region Prakash Mehta, Congress corporator Pravin Cheda and former Congress corporator Balchandra Shirsath from the same region were arrested with 13 more party workers this morning.
According to Pant Nagar police, the accused were arrested over a year-old case lodged by the police in which the accused had gathered on te road in front of the police station and burnt a towing van on road.
"On November 2011, one Kirti Mehta (45), a resident of Ghatkopar, was crushed to death by a towing van. After hearing the news of his death, people from Gujarati community, along with the accused, gheraoed the police station and didn`t let the police take the towing van away," said an officer from Pant Nagar police station.
The agitated mob had burnt the towing van on the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere