Rioting case: BJP MLA, 2 Cong corporators among 16 held
Mumbai: Almost a year after allegedly rioting and burning a towing van on the street, a BJP MLA and two Congress corporators, along with their 13 associates, were Monday arrested, police said.
However, the accused were later granted bail by a local court after paying Rs 3000 bail-bond each.
According to police, the BJP MLA from Ghatkopar region Prakash Mehta, Congress corporator Pravin Cheda and former Congress corporator Balchandra Shirsath from the same region were arrested with 13 more party workers this morning.
According to Pant Nagar police, the accused were arrested over a year-old case lodged by the police in which the accused had gathered on te road in front of the police station and burnt a towing van on road.
"On November 2011, one Kirti Mehta (45), a resident of Ghatkopar, was crushed to death by a towing van. After hearing the news of his death, people from Gujarati community, along with the accused, gheraoed the police station and didn`t let the police take the towing van away," said an officer from Pant Nagar police station.
The agitated mob had burnt the towing van on the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen