RK Laxman`s family recalls bond with cartoonist Bal Thackeray
Pune: Even though they worked together in Free Press Journal way back in 1947 as political cartoonists, the bond between Bal Thackeray and legendary RK Laxman remained intact thorough the passage of time, spanning decades.
The last gesture the Shiv Sena supremo made to his cartoonist friend was sending of a bouquet to Laxman at his Pune residence when the latter turned 91 on October 24, Usha, daughter-in-law of RK Laxman told a news agency.
"Their emotional attachment had become more intense in the last few years after RK suffered a stroke. Balasaheb visited him in Breach Candy hospital to boost his spirit saying the mind should triumph over body," she recalled.
In a rare visit outside Mumbai earlier this year, Thackeray came down to Pune to meet ailing Laxman at his residence in the city and spent almost an hour with him.
"He even recommended a homoeopath to treat his ailment and presented a silver image of Saibaba", she said, adding the family deeply grieved the demise of someone who was close to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest