RK Laxman`s family recalls bond with cartoonist Bal Thackeray
Pune: Even though they worked together in Free Press Journal way back in 1947 as political cartoonists, the bond between Bal Thackeray and legendary RK Laxman remained intact thorough the passage of time, spanning decades.
The last gesture the Shiv Sena supremo made to his cartoonist friend was sending of a bouquet to Laxman at his Pune residence when the latter turned 91 on October 24, Usha, daughter-in-law of RK Laxman told a news agency.
"Their emotional attachment had become more intense in the last few years after RK suffered a stroke. Balasaheb visited him in Breach Candy hospital to boost his spirit saying the mind should triumph over body," she recalled.
In a rare visit outside Mumbai earlier this year, Thackeray came down to Pune to meet ailing Laxman at his residence in the city and spent almost an hour with him.
"He even recommended a homoeopath to treat his ailment and presented a silver image of Saibaba", she said, adding the family deeply grieved the demise of someone who was close to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet