Road toll system to continue, Maharashtra CM indicates
Mumbai: Indicating that the toll system would continue despite the recent violent agitations at many places, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan today said the system was put in place to facilitate speedy construction of new roads.
Sources also said that senior ministers were of the view that scrapping of the system was not a good idea.
Without naming MNS chief Raj Thackeray, who had asked his followers not to pay the toll and thrash anyone who objected, Chavan also said "statements" were being examined and action would be taken as per the law.
"You cannot take law into your hands and pressurise the government," Chavan said, speaking to reporters here. "Toll is a considered policy of the Centre and the state governments to build roads quickly."
Specific complaints regarding toll levy would be examined and action would be taken, he assured, adding that "a comprehensive toll policy and (need for) improvement in the existing provisions are under consideration".
"So far some improvements have been made, like electronic display board at toll plazas, State Transport buses being exempted from paying toll so that the common man does not have to bear the burden. Only the upper class using four-wheelers have to pay toll," he said.
Meanwhile, sources said the issue of Raj Thackeray`s provocative speech and the MNS workers` subsequent vandalism at poll plazas did not figure in the today`s cabinet meeting.
Sources added that some senior ministers met earlier, and it was agreed that the issue would not be raised in the cabinet, and scrapping of toll system was not feasible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note