RPI flays Pawar for "voting twice" remark, demands action
Mumbai: Republican Party of India (A) today criticised NCP chief Sharad Pawar for asking his party workers to vote twice and asked the Election Commission to check his statement and take appropriate action.
"We will not tolerate bogus voting. We will strongly oppose them (NCP). The Election Commission of India (ECI) should check his statement and take action accordingly," RPI(A) chief Ramdas Athawale told reporters here.
RPI(A) is an ally in the `Mahayuti` in Maharashtra. He however, said that the Maratha strongman usually does not make such "illegal statements."
Athawale`s party colleague and ex-IPS officer PK Jain said, "the statement made by Pawar was a serious one. Action could be taken against him."
In potentially controversial remarks, the Union Agriculture Minister today asked his party workers to take advantage of the multi-phase polling in the state by voting twice, first at their hometowns and then at places of work.
Meanwhile, former IPS officer SP Pathak, former judge Ashok Khillare and MNS leader Aziz Nawab Sheikh joined the Dalit outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report