RPI supports Shiv Sena on issue of renaming Shivaji Park
Thane: Shiv Sena`s alliance partner RPI today extended its support to the saffron party on renaming Shivaji Park as `Shiv Tirth`.
"Whatever demands are made by the Shiv Sena, we support it. The Republican Party of India will support the Sena," RPI president Ramdas Athawale told reporters here and added that the demand to rename the park as `Shiv Tirth` should be accepted.
Athawale also said that the make-shift memorial at Shivaji Park, where late Sena patriarch Bal Thackeray was cremated, should not be removed.
"Emotions of the people should be understood," he said, adding, political parties should desist from doing politics on the issue.
"Leaders from various political parties should come together and support the memorial for Balasheb Thackeray," he added.
The Dalit leader also stated that the Mayor`s bungalow in Dadar in central Mumbai is the "appropriate" location for the memorial to be constructed for the Sena patriarch, who died on November 17.
Meanwhile, Sena`s old alliance partner, BJP, has refrained from making its stand clear on the renaming as well as on the memorial issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ICSI CS foundation exam 2016 result announced, log on to icsi.examresults.net to check your scores
- Goa RSS chief resigns from committee set up for CM's birthday
- Helicopter parenting may up depression risk in your kids
- Cabinet clears mineral exploration policy
- Unbelievable! Gujarat researchers find traces of gold in urine of Gir cows