RPI supports Shiv Sena on issue of renaming Shivaji Park
Thane: Shiv Sena`s alliance partner RPI today extended its support to the saffron party on renaming Shivaji Park as `Shiv Tirth`.
"Whatever demands are made by the Shiv Sena, we support it. The Republican Party of India will support the Sena," RPI president Ramdas Athawale told reporters here and added that the demand to rename the park as `Shiv Tirth` should be accepted.
Athawale also said that the make-shift memorial at Shivaji Park, where late Sena patriarch Bal Thackeray was cremated, should not be removed.
"Emotions of the people should be understood," he said, adding, political parties should desist from doing politics on the issue.
"Leaders from various political parties should come together and support the memorial for Balasheb Thackeray," he added.
The Dalit leader also stated that the Mayor`s bungalow in Dadar in central Mumbai is the "appropriate" location for the memorial to be constructed for the Sena patriarch, who died on November 17.
Meanwhile, Sena`s old alliance partner, BJP, has refrained from making its stand clear on the renaming as well as on the memorial issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP