RPI supports Shiv Sena on issue of renaming Shivaji Park
Thane: Shiv Sena`s alliance partner RPI today extended its support to the saffron party on renaming Shivaji Park as `Shiv Tirth`.
"Whatever demands are made by the Shiv Sena, we support it. The Republican Party of India will support the Sena," RPI president Ramdas Athawale told reporters here and added that the demand to rename the park as `Shiv Tirth` should be accepted.
Athawale also said that the make-shift memorial at Shivaji Park, where late Sena patriarch Bal Thackeray was cremated, should not be removed.
"Emotions of the people should be understood," he said, adding, political parties should desist from doing politics on the issue.
"Leaders from various political parties should come together and support the memorial for Balasheb Thackeray," he added.
The Dalit leader also stated that the Mayor`s bungalow in Dadar in central Mumbai is the "appropriate" location for the memorial to be constructed for the Sena patriarch, who died on November 17.
Meanwhile, Sena`s old alliance partner, BJP, has refrained from making its stand clear on the renaming as well as on the memorial issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family