Rs 23 lakh looted from bank ATM in Thane
Thane: Police have launched a manhunt for a security guard-cum-caretaker of a bank ATM who decamped with Rs 23 lakh from the cash dispensing machine near here.
The incident took place last evening at Bhayander, a distant suburb of Mumbai, Prashant Deshpande, Thane Deputy Superintendent of Police, said on Saturday.
He said at around 6 pm, the security guard on duty informed the maintenance personnel that the ATM, belonging to State Bank of India and located near Bhayander railway station, was not functioning.
When a man from the maintenance firm arrived and opened the machine, the guard took out a knife and threatened him. He dragged the man inside the other room in the ATM centre and tied him there. The guard then took out Rs 23 lakh from the ATM and fled, Deshpande said.
He said police have registered a complaint and a search was on for the guard, whose identity was not disclosed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'