Rs 23 lakh looted from bank ATM in Thane
Thane: Police have launched a manhunt for a security guard-cum-caretaker of a bank ATM who decamped with Rs 23 lakh from the cash dispensing machine near here.
The incident took place last evening at Bhayander, a distant suburb of Mumbai, Prashant Deshpande, Thane Deputy Superintendent of Police, said on Saturday.
He said at around 6 pm, the security guard on duty informed the maintenance personnel that the ATM, belonging to State Bank of India and located near Bhayander railway station, was not functioning.
When a man from the maintenance firm arrived and opened the machine, the guard took out a knife and threatened him. He dragged the man inside the other room in the ATM centre and tied him there. The guard then took out Rs 23 lakh from the ATM and fled, Deshpande said.
He said police have registered a complaint and a search was on for the guard, whose identity was not disclosed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss