Rs 3 CNG hike, piped gas slab change to upset home budget
Mumbai: Here’s another one that will send your household expenses skyrocketing. By the time you read this, the prices of natural gas will have gone up.
Mahanagar Gas Limited has increased the price of CNG or compressed natural gas (what you tank up in your car) with immediate effect. Also, the utility slabs for piped natural gas or PNG have been reduced.
This hike in price and reduction in slabs could possibly have a cascading effect on taxi and autorickshaw fares. The auto and taxi unions, as it is, have been agitating for a hike in fares.
In a press statement issued on Friday, Mahanagar Gas Limited said that it has been “constrained” to increase the price of CNG by Rs3/kg in Mumbai effective from the night of September 6.
The press statement further said that this hike was being introduced to recover part of increase in input costs, especially towards sudden and rapid depreciation of the rupee against the US dollar.
Reacting to this hike, Thampi Kurien of the Mumbai Rickshawmen’s Union said, “Since the last fare hike in October 2012, prices of CNG have increased by Rs 5.85. Now, CNG will cost us almost Rs40 per kg. This is really hitting our income and is nullifying the effect of the fare hike. We are talking to the transport commissioner to convene a meeting of all rickshaw unions so that the issue of a fare hike, pending since May this year, can be discussed.”
The reduced slabs of piped cooking gas will be effective from Saturday. This means you will pay a higher amount for a certain amount of cooking gas as compared to what you would have paid earlier.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!