Rs 3 CNG hike, piped gas slab change to upset home budget
Mumbai: Here’s another one that will send your household expenses skyrocketing. By the time you read this, the prices of natural gas will have gone up.
Mahanagar Gas Limited has increased the price of CNG or compressed natural gas (what you tank up in your car) with immediate effect. Also, the utility slabs for piped natural gas or PNG have been reduced.
This hike in price and reduction in slabs could possibly have a cascading effect on taxi and autorickshaw fares. The auto and taxi unions, as it is, have been agitating for a hike in fares.
In a press statement issued on Friday, Mahanagar Gas Limited said that it has been “constrained” to increase the price of CNG by Rs3/kg in Mumbai effective from the night of September 6.
The press statement further said that this hike was being introduced to recover part of increase in input costs, especially towards sudden and rapid depreciation of the rupee against the US dollar.
Reacting to this hike, Thampi Kurien of the Mumbai Rickshawmen’s Union said, “Since the last fare hike in October 2012, prices of CNG have increased by Rs 5.85. Now, CNG will cost us almost Rs40 per kg. This is really hitting our income and is nullifying the effect of the fare hike. We are talking to the transport commissioner to convene a meeting of all rickshaw unions so that the issue of a fare hike, pending since May this year, can be discussed.”
The reduced slabs of piped cooking gas will be effective from Saturday. This means you will pay a higher amount for a certain amount of cooking gas as compared to what you would have paid earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow