Rs 3 CNG hike, piped gas slab change to upset home budget
Mumbai: Here’s another one that will send your household expenses skyrocketing. By the time you read this, the prices of natural gas will have gone up.
Mahanagar Gas Limited has increased the price of CNG or compressed natural gas (what you tank up in your car) with immediate effect. Also, the utility slabs for piped natural gas or PNG have been reduced.
This hike in price and reduction in slabs could possibly have a cascading effect on taxi and autorickshaw fares. The auto and taxi unions, as it is, have been agitating for a hike in fares.
In a press statement issued on Friday, Mahanagar Gas Limited said that it has been “constrained” to increase the price of CNG by Rs3/kg in Mumbai effective from the night of September 6.
The press statement further said that this hike was being introduced to recover part of increase in input costs, especially towards sudden and rapid depreciation of the rupee against the US dollar.
Reacting to this hike, Thampi Kurien of the Mumbai Rickshawmen’s Union said, “Since the last fare hike in October 2012, prices of CNG have increased by Rs 5.85. Now, CNG will cost us almost Rs40 per kg. This is really hitting our income and is nullifying the effect of the fare hike. We are talking to the transport commissioner to convene a meeting of all rickshaw unions so that the issue of a fare hike, pending since May this year, can be discussed.”
The reduced slabs of piped cooking gas will be effective from Saturday. This means you will pay a higher amount for a certain amount of cooking gas as compared to what you would have paid earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued