RS by-poll from Maha: Congress`s Rajani Patil faces no contest
Mumbai: Rajani Patil, Congress candidate for a Rajya Sabha by-election from Maharashtra, is set to get elected unopposed as opposition Shiv Sena-BJP is not fielding anybody.
The by-election was necessitated by the death of former Chief Minister and Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh last August.
The term of this seat, from the Legislative Assembly quota, will expire on April 2, 2018. Today was the last date of filing of nominations.
Scrutiny will be held tomorrow and the last date of withdrawal is January 5. Election, if required, would be held on January 12.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said Patil was the candidate of Congress-NCP coalition and leaders of NCP were also present when Patil filed nomination papers here.
Chavan said a formal announcement of Patil`s election will be made after the scrutiny of papers or on the last date of withdrawal.
Chavan described Patil, who hails from Beed in Marathwada, as an experienced hand in administrative, parliamentary and organisational matters. She would help revival of Congress in Beed and Marathwada and raise issues concerning the state in the Rajya Sabha, the Chief Minister said, hoping that she would also take up women`s issues.
"Currently, we (Maharashtra Congress) have only one female MP -- Priya Dutt -- in the Lok Sabha," he said.
Leader of the opposition in the Assembly Eknath Khadse (BJP) and Shiv Sena leader in the lower house Subhash Desai said the Chief Minister had requested them not to field a candidate as the seat was earlier represented by Deshmukh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Gal Gadot plays the new DC superhero- 'Wonder Woman'! Watch trailer
- IMF flags decelerating pace of reforms in India; lists six areas for further reforms
- Black with a hint of gold, Sonam Kapoor's debonair suit will win your heart!
- Are you daring enough to visit THIS spooky 'Island of the Dolls'?
- Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson became more popular after death: Amitabh Bachchan