‘RTI must be used to ensure govt accountability’
Mumbai: The objective of filing a query under Right to Information Act must be to ensure transparency and accountability in the government, chairman of National Minority Commission, Wajahat Habibullah said here on Wednesday.
Habibullah, the first Chief Information Commissioner of the country, addressed the 72nd convocation of Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) here.
Some people use the RTI to threaten, he said. "It is also used as a threat...If somebody`s work is not done...Then he often threatens of filing an RTI (query)."
However, the ultimate result of RTI must be to strengthen the government, he asserted.
Saying that civil services had increasingly been politicised, he said the bureaucrat of the future must be a "facilitator and an effective motivator".
"The time has come for change and restructuring. A bureaucracy is, by its nature, risk-averse, thus change resistant. It instinctively withdraws from being responsive to new ideas," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India