‘RTI must be used to ensure govt accountability’
Mumbai: The objective of filing a query under Right to Information Act must be to ensure transparency and accountability in the government, chairman of National Minority Commission, Wajahat Habibullah said here on Wednesday.
Habibullah, the first Chief Information Commissioner of the country, addressed the 72nd convocation of Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) here.
Some people use the RTI to threaten, he said. "It is also used as a threat...If somebody`s work is not done...Then he often threatens of filing an RTI (query)."
However, the ultimate result of RTI must be to strengthen the government, he asserted.
Saying that civil services had increasingly been politicised, he said the bureaucrat of the future must be a "facilitator and an effective motivator".
"The time has come for change and restructuring. A bureaucracy is, by its nature, risk-averse, thus change resistant. It instinctively withdraws from being responsive to new ideas," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Check out pics! Talgo train's 1st India trial; it can run at a maximum speed of 200 kmph
- Watch: Karan Patel, Ankita Bhargava’s wedding video will restore your faith in 'Arranged Love'
- Do you know Mahatma Gandhi's views on cricket? Read Tripura school textbook
- Pakistan's JeM leader, suspected militant killed in shootout in Kashmir
- Abhishek Bachchan's thoughts about getting inked- Know what the actor feels