‘RTI must be used to ensure govt accountability’
Mumbai: The objective of filing a query under Right to Information Act must be to ensure transparency and accountability in the government, chairman of National Minority Commission, Wajahat Habibullah said here on Wednesday.
Habibullah, the first Chief Information Commissioner of the country, addressed the 72nd convocation of Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) here.
Some people use the RTI to threaten, he said. "It is also used as a threat...If somebody`s work is not done...Then he often threatens of filing an RTI (query)."
However, the ultimate result of RTI must be to strengthen the government, he asserted.
Saying that civil services had increasingly been politicised, he said the bureaucrat of the future must be a "facilitator and an effective motivator".
"The time has come for change and restructuring. A bureaucracy is, by its nature, risk-averse, thus change resistant. It instinctively withdraws from being responsive to new ideas," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites