Salem to move EU for execution of order cancelling extradition
Mumbai: Gangster Abu Salem, who survived bid on his life in a Navi Mumbai jail last month, will move the European Union (EU) seeking execution of the order cancelling his extradition to India issued by the Portuguese Constitutional Court.
"We will move the EU..The Portugal High Court, Supreme Court and Constitutional Court had cancelled the extradition (to India). What are the authorities waiting for," Salem`s Portugal-based lawyer Mannuel Ferriera said Monday.
Ferriera, who arrived in India yesterday, met Salem after securing permission of the special TADA court and spoke to him for nearly two hours.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, was extradited from Portugal on November 11, 2005, after a prolonged legal battle.
The Supreme Court of Portugal had last year dismissed an appeal of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) challenging termination of extradition of the underworld don.
Salem was shot at by gangster Devendra Jagtap alias JD, an accused in the murder of advocate Shahid Azmi who had represented an 26/11 Mumbai attack accused, in Taloja Central Jail in Navi Mumbai on June 27.
Salem was hit in his hand by one of the two rounds allegedly fired by JD.
"Salem is very depressed after the attack and has decided to move European Union. We will move the EU as the Portugal government is not doing anything. We will request EU to direct the Portugal government to take some steps for execution of the cancellation of the extradition order," the lawyer said.
The Portuguese Constitutional Court is a special court, defined by the country`s Constitution as part of the judicial branch of the Portuguese political organisation.
Ferriera said that cases against Salem in India were dragging without any conclusion whereas they should have reached their logical conclusion by now.
"(Taking) no decision is also a bad decision and major problem in the case is that there is no decision taken", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test