Salem to move EU for execution of order cancelling extradition
Mumbai: Gangster Abu Salem, who survived bid on his life in a Navi Mumbai jail last month, will move the European Union (EU) seeking execution of the order cancelling his extradition to India issued by the Portuguese Constitutional Court.
"We will move the EU..The Portugal High Court, Supreme Court and Constitutional Court had cancelled the extradition (to India). What are the authorities waiting for," Salem`s Portugal-based lawyer Mannuel Ferriera said Monday.
Ferriera, who arrived in India yesterday, met Salem after securing permission of the special TADA court and spoke to him for nearly two hours.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, was extradited from Portugal on November 11, 2005, after a prolonged legal battle.
The Supreme Court of Portugal had last year dismissed an appeal of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) challenging termination of extradition of the underworld don.
Salem was shot at by gangster Devendra Jagtap alias JD, an accused in the murder of advocate Shahid Azmi who had represented an 26/11 Mumbai attack accused, in Taloja Central Jail in Navi Mumbai on June 27.
Salem was hit in his hand by one of the two rounds allegedly fired by JD.
"Salem is very depressed after the attack and has decided to move European Union. We will move the EU as the Portugal government is not doing anything. We will request EU to direct the Portugal government to take some steps for execution of the cancellation of the extradition order," the lawyer said.
The Portuguese Constitutional Court is a special court, defined by the country`s Constitution as part of the judicial branch of the Portuguese political organisation.
Ferriera said that cases against Salem in India were dragging without any conclusion whereas they should have reached their logical conclusion by now.
"(Taking) no decision is also a bad decision and major problem in the case is that there is no decision taken", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown