Samjhauta Exp accused remanded in NIA custody in Malegaon case
Mumbai: Dhan Singh, a prime suspect in the 2007 Samjhauta Express blast case, was on Thursday remanded in the custody of National Investigation Agency till December 28 in the 2008 Malegaon blast case by the special NIA court here.
NIA told the court that it recently arrested Rajender Chaudhary in Samjhauta case, and he had confessed that he and Singh were involved in Malegaon and other blasts along with absconding accused Ramchandra Kalasangraha and Sandeep Dange.
"Chaudhary said that Dhansing was instrumental in transporting the motorcycle of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur for using it in Malaegaon blast," Special Public Prosecutor Rohini Salian said.
Singh was closely associated with Kalasangraha and Dange, and they appeared to have aided each other in the commission of 2008 Malegaon blast and other terrorist acts, she said.
Salian sought Singh`s custody for NIA, saying he needs to be interrogated to unearth facts about procurement of explosives, acquiring of expertise, logistics, etc.
But Singh`s lawyer, advocate J P Mishra argued that the facts emerging now were contrary to the facts stated by the NIA after the interrogation of Swami Aseemanand.
Earlier, Singh told the special judge Y D Shinde that he had been assaulted by NIA officers, and he was scared. He also alleged that his family was being harassed by NIA.
When the judge asked if he had a lawyer, he said he didn`t, nor did he want one from the legal aid panel.
But when advocate Mishra appeared for him, Singh refused to sign the `vakalatnama`, saying he had no money to pay lawyer`s fee and he should be given a lawyer from aid panel. His relatives finally persuaded him to accept Advocate Mishra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video