Samjhauta Exp accused remanded in NIA custody in Malegaon case
Mumbai: Dhan Singh, a prime suspect in the 2007 Samjhauta Express blast case, was on Thursday remanded in the custody of National Investigation Agency till December 28 in the 2008 Malegaon blast case by the special NIA court here.
NIA told the court that it recently arrested Rajender Chaudhary in Samjhauta case, and he had confessed that he and Singh were involved in Malegaon and other blasts along with absconding accused Ramchandra Kalasangraha and Sandeep Dange.
"Chaudhary said that Dhansing was instrumental in transporting the motorcycle of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur for using it in Malaegaon blast," Special Public Prosecutor Rohini Salian said.
Singh was closely associated with Kalasangraha and Dange, and they appeared to have aided each other in the commission of 2008 Malegaon blast and other terrorist acts, she said.
Salian sought Singh`s custody for NIA, saying he needs to be interrogated to unearth facts about procurement of explosives, acquiring of expertise, logistics, etc.
But Singh`s lawyer, advocate J P Mishra argued that the facts emerging now were contrary to the facts stated by the NIA after the interrogation of Swami Aseemanand.
Earlier, Singh told the special judge Y D Shinde that he had been assaulted by NIA officers, and he was scared. He also alleged that his family was being harassed by NIA.
When the judge asked if he had a lawyer, he said he didn`t, nor did he want one from the legal aid panel.
But when advocate Mishra appeared for him, Singh refused to sign the `vakalatnama`, saying he had no money to pay lawyer`s fee and he should be given a lawyer from aid panel. His relatives finally persuaded him to accept Advocate Mishra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC