Sand mafia attacks cops, officials in MP
Bhopal: Within two days of the killing of IPS officer Narendra Kumar Singh by the mining mafia in Madhya Pradesh`s Morena district, there was another attack on police and government officials in the state Saturday, this time in the Panna district, an official said.
Alleged members of the sand mafia fired at the sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) and sub-divisional officer (Police) in Panna district Saturday afternoon.
The incident took place at Chandipati village in Ajaygarh area of Panna, over 400 km from Bhopal. The area is situated on the Madhya Pradesh-Uttar Pradesh border.
However, no injuries were reported.
"Along with SDOP, town inspector and some policemen, we were heading towards the area from where the mafia illegally transport sand. But soon, they started firing at us. We also fired a few rounds in retaliation. We are safe and have demanded more forces, which is reaching the spot," SDM NA Gaud said from the site of the incident.
The SDM said he suspected former dacoit Kuber Singh, who now conducts illegal transportation of sand, as having led the group that fired at them.
Superintendent of police Anal Maheshwari has rushed to the spot.
On the day of Holi, IPS officer Narendra Kumar was crushed to death in Morena when he tried to stop a tractor loaded with illegally-quarried stones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen