Sandhya died due to assault on skull, says forensic report
Mumbai: A forensic report on the death of a senior customs officer`s wife Sandhya Singh, whose skeletal remains were found in Navi Mumbai recently, has concluded that she was assaulted before being killed, police said.
Sandhya Singh was sister of yesteryears actresses Sulakshana Pandit and Vijeta Pandit. Sandhya`s two brothers are noted Bollywood music composers Jatin-Lalit. She resided with her family at Nerul`s NRI Colony in Seawoods.
"One more forensic report has been received by us and it suggests that injuries on Singh were ante-mortem," a Mumbai police crime branch official probing the high profile case said.
Sandhya (50) had gone missing since December 13 last year, when she went to a bank in Nerul carrying jewellery worth around Rs 20 lakh with her, police said.
A few days later, skull and bones were found at a patch of marshy land near an elite Nerul school in the last week of January.
A forensic report on these skeletal remains stated that these belonged to Sandhya Singh, after which the Navi Mumbai police registered a murder case.
The state government transferred the case to the Mumbai crime branch after her family demanded it.
The latest forensic report received indicated that injuries were inflicted on Sandhya before her death, police said.
"This means, her murderers injured her skull and she bled before being dumped near the school," the officer added. However, the police has not zeroed in on any suspect so far.
According to the police, on December 13 last year, Sandhya was on her way to the Abhyudaya Co-operative Bank`s local branch, which is about three kilometres from her residence, to deposit some jewelery in her bank locker.
Sandhya was dropped near the bank by her friend Uma Gaur, in a car. Since then, she went missing, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’