Sandhya Kupekar NCP nominee for Chandgad Assembly bypoll
Mumbai: NCP on Tuesday announced the candidature of Sandhya Kupekar, wife of deceased sitting MLA Babasaheb Kupekar, for the Assembly bypoll to be held on February 24.
The byelection for Chandgad seat, which falls in Kolhapur district of western Maharashtra, was necessitated following death of the former Speaker of state Assembly last year.
"Sandhya Kupekar`s candidature was unanimously decided in the Parliamentary Board meeting chaired by party chief Sharad Pawar", said NCP state unit president Madhukar Pichad.
The meeting was held here recently.
Pichad said Sandhya was not given any assurance regarding her candidature for 2014 Assembly elections. "The candidate for 2014 (elections) will be chosen by Parliamentary Board before polls," he added.
Pichad said Sandhya will file nomination on February 4. "Myself and RR Patil (Home Minister) will accompany her during filing of nomination papers," he said.
When asked about late Kupekar`s nephew Sangram, also an aspirant, Pichad said all aspirants who sought ticket have agreed to abide by the decision of the parliamentary board.
"Sandhya`s candidature was decided after consultations with Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, state Congress chief Manikrao Thakre and Congress ministers from Kolhapur district Harshvardhan Patil and Satej Patil", Pichad said.
- WATCH: Brendon McCullum's unbelievable fielding effort vs Delhi Daredevils in Match 31 of IPL 2016
- I love Karan Patel, but don't want him in my life: Kamya Punjabi
- Get LeEco Le 1s Eco at introductory price of Rs 9,999; flash sale on May 12
- Tamil Nadu Assembly Elections: Did DMK use Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' teaser to target AIADMK, Jayalalithaa over Chennai floods?
- Asthma attack without an inhaler: First aid tips – Watch!