Sanjay Nirupam breaks fast after Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan`s appeal
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Congress leader Sanjay Nirupam, who was on a hunger strike demanding reduction in power tariffs, broke his fast on Sunday after an appeal by Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan.
Chavan was quoted as saying that he had requested Nirupam to quit strike for he too wanted reduction in power tariffs and promised to look into what could be done.
Notably, Nirupam had also threatened to self-immolate outside Reliance ADA group chief Anil Ambani`s residence if the industrialist failed to reduce the power tariffs.
The AICC secretary started his agitation on Thursday demanding reduction in power tariff in Mumbai outside the Reliance Energy divisional office at Kandivali.
On Monday, the Maharashtra government slashed power tariff by 20 percent across all sectors.
Nirupam along with party`s Lok Sabha member Priya Dutt has been "protesting" and demanding reduction of electricity bills for power consumers especially in Mumbai, PTI reported.
Nirupam had also written to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan demanding a power tariff cut, reasoning that if the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government in Delhi could do so, why could it not be replicated in Mumbai and Maharashtra.
Their party, the Congress, leads the coalition government in Maharashtra.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!