Sanjay Nirupam demands Mumbai power tariff cut, says it can be done
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Mumbai: After Aam Aadmi Party`s decision to reduce the power tariff in Delhi by 50 per cent, taking cue from the Arvind Kejriwal-led party, AICC secretary and Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam on Wednesday wrote a letter to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan demanding reduction in tariff for power consumption of less than 500 units per month in the city.
Nirupam said that an inquiry should be set up to investigate the pricing mechanism that is adopted by the companies which distribute power in the city. Speaking about the power consumption of the middle class and the slum population, he said that if their legitimate expectations are not met then he will launch an agitation against the government.
In the letter, Nirupam wrote, "The Regulatory Authority in Delhi was not even consulted, while whenever we raised this issue in Mumbai the standard reply given was that the matter has been referred to the regulator."
While talking reporters today, Nirupam stated that if the power tariff can be reduced by 50 per cent in Delhi then it can done in Mumbai as well. “I have told the CM, discoms have cartelised the power sector.If Delhi can do it then we (Maharashtra) also can,” he said.
He pointed out that whenever the power was reduce in the past years, only the power companies benefited from the subsidy announced. Adding that benefit of the subsidy should only be passed on directly to the consumers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi