Sankaranarayanan sworn in Maharashtra Governor
Mumbai: Kateekal Sankaranarayanan was
on Friday sworn in as the Governor of Maharashtra here.
The swearing-in of Sankaranarayanan, earlier Governor
of Jharkhand, took place at 10 am at the Raj Bhavan where
Acting Chief Justice of Bombay High Court J N Patel
administered the oath of office to him.
Outgoing Governor S C Jamir, Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, members of the
state cabinet were among those present on the occasion.
79-year-old Sankaranarayanan brings with him a vast
and varied experience in public life and had dominated the
political firmament of Kerala for nearly five decades.
Born on October 15, 1932 in Kerala, Sankaranarayanan`s
initiation into politics started early when he became a member
of Students Organization in 1946.
He rose to the position of Kerala Congress president
in 1977 after serving as General Secretary and President of
the Palghat district unit of the party and also served as the
Working Committee Member of the AICC.
Sankaranarayanan was elected to the Kerala Legislative
Assembly several times and represented Thrithala,
Sreekrishnapuram, Ottappalam and Palghat constituencies. He
was also a member of the ministries of K Karunakaran and A K
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?