Sankaranarayanan sworn in Maharashtra Governor
Mumbai: Kateekal Sankaranarayanan was
on Friday sworn in as the Governor of Maharashtra here.
The swearing-in of Sankaranarayanan, earlier Governor
of Jharkhand, took place at 10 am at the Raj Bhavan where
Acting Chief Justice of Bombay High Court J N Patel
administered the oath of office to him.
Outgoing Governor S C Jamir, Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, members of the
state cabinet were among those present on the occasion.
79-year-old Sankaranarayanan brings with him a vast
and varied experience in public life and had dominated the
political firmament of Kerala for nearly five decades.
Born on October 15, 1932 in Kerala, Sankaranarayanan`s
initiation into politics started early when he became a member
of Students Organization in 1946.
He rose to the position of Kerala Congress president
in 1977 after serving as General Secretary and President of
the Palghat district unit of the party and also served as the
Working Committee Member of the AICC.
Sankaranarayanan was elected to the Kerala Legislative
Assembly several times and represented Thrithala,
Sreekrishnapuram, Ottappalam and Palghat constituencies. He
was also a member of the ministries of K Karunakaran and A K
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police