Sankaranarayanan sworn in Maharashtra Governor
Mumbai: Kateekal Sankaranarayanan was
on Friday sworn in as the Governor of Maharashtra here.
The swearing-in of Sankaranarayanan, earlier Governor
of Jharkhand, took place at 10 am at the Raj Bhavan where
Acting Chief Justice of Bombay High Court J N Patel
administered the oath of office to him.
Outgoing Governor S C Jamir, Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, members of the
state cabinet were among those present on the occasion.
79-year-old Sankaranarayanan brings with him a vast
and varied experience in public life and had dominated the
political firmament of Kerala for nearly five decades.
Born on October 15, 1932 in Kerala, Sankaranarayanan`s
initiation into politics started early when he became a member
of Students Organization in 1946.
He rose to the position of Kerala Congress president
in 1977 after serving as General Secretary and President of
the Palghat district unit of the party and also served as the
Working Committee Member of the AICC.
Sankaranarayanan was elected to the Kerala Legislative
Assembly several times and represented Thrithala,
Sreekrishnapuram, Ottappalam and Palghat constituencies. He
was also a member of the ministries of K Karunakaran and A K
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon