SC grants 8 weeks to finish probe against Kripashankar
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday granted eight weeks to Special Investigating Team to complete its probe into the alleged amassing of disproportionate assets by former Mumbai Congress chief Kripashankar Singh and his family members.
A bench of justices HL Dattu and CK Prasad also said the SIT will be headed by the present Mumbai police commissioner Satyapal Singh. The team was earlier headed by former police commissioner Arup Patnaik who has recently been promoted as DGP.
The Maharashtra government has submitted to the Supreme Court two reports on the SIT probe in sealed covers about the alleged benami assets of Singh and his family members.
The first report was filed on April 16 in compliance with the March 13 order of the Supreme Court which had asked the SIT to probe and collect documentary evidence regarding all movable and immovable properties of Singh and his family, including his wife, son, daughter-in-law and daughter and file its report in a sealed envelope.
The apex court had earlier refused to stay the probe but had put an interim stay on attaching and seizing their properties.
It had also restrained the politician and his family members from "alienating, transferring or dealing with properties" enumerated in the petition against them during the pendency of the case and directed them to file an affidavit within three days giving an undertaking for the same.
The apex court had passed its order on petitions filed by Kripashankar and his family members seeking a stay on the Bombay High Court order of February 22 directing the then city Police Commissioner to prosecute them for "criminal misconduct" under Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!