SC notice on plea of Muslim cop who wants to grow beard
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Tuesday issued notice to the central and Maharashtra governments on a petition by a Muslim constable asking if he was entitled to grow a beard as a matter of religious belief and practice.
Zahroodin Shamsaddin, a constable in the Maharashtra State Reserve Police Force, contended that the believers and followers of Islam had been commanded by Prophet Mohammad to "keep their beards and cut the mustaches short".
The apex court bench of Justice P. Sathasivsam and Justice J.S. Khehar issued the notice after it was told that the state police order withdrawing permission to grow beards was against the tenets of Islam.
While issuing the notice, the court also stayed the departmental disciplinary proceedings against Shamsaddin.
Shamsaddin challenged the Dec 12, 2012 order of the Aurangabad bench of the Bombay High Court which said that the order withdrawing the permission to grow beards did not interfere with or violate the fundamental rights.
By a May 7, 2012 order Shamsaddin was permitted to grow a beard but the same was rescinded Oct 9, 2012. Shamsaddin contended that he was not afforded an opportunity before orders cancelling the earlier orders were issued by the high court.
The petition faulted the high court order contending that it was in breach of the right to equality guaranteed under Article 14 of the constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan