SC notice on plea of Muslim cop who wants to grow beard
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Tuesday issued notice to the central and Maharashtra governments on a petition by a Muslim constable asking if he was entitled to grow a beard as a matter of religious belief and practice.
Zahroodin Shamsaddin, a constable in the Maharashtra State Reserve Police Force, contended that the believers and followers of Islam had been commanded by Prophet Mohammad to "keep their beards and cut the mustaches short".
The apex court bench of Justice P. Sathasivsam and Justice J.S. Khehar issued the notice after it was told that the state police order withdrawing permission to grow beards was against the tenets of Islam.
While issuing the notice, the court also stayed the departmental disciplinary proceedings against Shamsaddin.
Shamsaddin challenged the Dec 12, 2012 order of the Aurangabad bench of the Bombay High Court which said that the order withdrawing the permission to grow beards did not interfere with or violate the fundamental rights.
By a May 7, 2012 order Shamsaddin was permitted to grow a beard but the same was rescinded Oct 9, 2012. Shamsaddin contended that he was not afforded an opportunity before orders cancelling the earlier orders were issued by the high court.
The petition faulted the high court order contending that it was in breach of the right to equality guaranteed under Article 14 of the constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre