SC orders 3-month jail term to four Boss school members
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday
sentenced four women members of Mumbai-based controversial
Boss School of Music to three months of imprisonment for
hurling footwear at one of its judges, holding that it
amounted to "contempt in the face of the apex court".
Sarita Parikh, Annette Kotian, Pavitra Murali and
Liela David were directed by the apex court to be arrested
forthwith for the March 20 incident when one of them hurled a
footwear at Justice Arijit Pasayat (since retired) in the
court room during the hearing of a matter relating to the Boss
School of Music.
While Parikh and Kotian, who were present in the
courtroom, were taken into custody by the security, the apex
court asked the Police Commissioners of Delhi and Mumbai to
take steps to apprehend the other two women.
It also imposed a cost of Rs one lakh on each of them
for filing frivolous petitions making wild allegations against
the Constitutional office of the President, Prime Minister and
The order was pronounced by a three-judge Bench
comprising Justices Altamas Kabir, G S Singhvi and H L Dattu,
which was constituted by the Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan
after differences of opinion had cropped up between Justice
Pasayat and Justice A K Ganguly whether a case of contempt was
made out in the wake of the incident which was witnessed by
several senior advocates and law officers.
Justice Pasayat, who was heading the Bench along with
Justice Ganguly, was the target and had ordered three months
imprisonment for the four women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!