SC rejects anticipatory bail of Padamsinh Patil
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today
rejected the anticipatory bail plea of suspended NCP leader
Padamsinh Patil who is accused of conspiring to kill social
activist Anna Hazare.
The apex court dismissed the appeal filed by Patil
against the decision of the Aurangabad Bench of the Bombay
High Court refusing to stay his arrest in connection with the
case registered on a complaint by Hazare alleging that he had
conspired to murder him.
"No ground is made out for grant of anticipatory bail
to Patil. The Special Leave Petition is dismissed
accordingly," a Bench comprising Justices D K Jain, M K Sharma
and R M Lodha said adding Patil`s regular bail plea could be
heard expeditiously if he surrenders within a week.
"We direct that if Patil surrenders within a week from
today and applies for regular bail, his prayer shall be
considered as expeditiously as possible," the Bench said.
Hazare had in September filed a complaint with the
Parner police in Ahmednagar based on the confessional
statement of Parasmal Jain, an accused in the murder case of
Congress leader Pawanraje Nimbalkar.
"Jain in his statement before a magistrate had said Patil
had offered him supari (contract killing sum) to murder me,"
Hazare said in his complaint.
Patil was arrested by CBI in June this year for
allegedly hatching the conspiracy of Nimbalkar`s murder.
A sessions court in Alibag had granted him bail in the
case in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof