SC to hear appeal against 26/11 accused
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will on Friday hear a petition moved by the Maharashtra Government challenging the acquittal of Mumbai terror attacks accused Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed.
Ansari and Ahmed were acquitted in the 26/11 terror attacks case for the want of corroborative evidence by the trial court.
The apex court gave its nod to hear the Maharashtra government’s plea on September 2 against the two accused.
A bench headed by Justice Aftab Alam, however, made it clear to the state government that it is a weak case.
"Having regards to the seriousness of the matter, we issue notice but you (Maharashtra government) have a weak case," the bench said while issuing notice to Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, the alleged Indian conspirators of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.
The court, however, refused to pass any order on Ajmal Kasab, the sole convict in the case, when the state government pleaded that his letter to the Supreme Court challenging his death sentence should be tagged with this appeal.
"We are taking a step regarding this (Kasab`s letter)," the bench said.
Maharashtra government had moved against the Bombay High Court`s February 21 order upholding the acquittal of Ansari and Ahmed by the trial court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Over 80 percent of world's city dwellers breathe polluted air: WHO
- CBSE class 10 results 2016 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class X Results, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 PM
- 'Third Front' leaders attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in as West Bengal CM; 42 ministers take oath
- Panasonic launches 4G VoLTE smartphone Eluga A2 at Rs 9,490
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis reach 3rd round in French Open