SC to hear appeal against 26/11 accused
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will on Friday hear a petition moved by the Maharashtra Government challenging the acquittal of Mumbai terror attacks accused Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed.
Ansari and Ahmed were acquitted in the 26/11 terror attacks case for the want of corroborative evidence by the trial court.
The apex court gave its nod to hear the Maharashtra government’s plea on September 2 against the two accused.
A bench headed by Justice Aftab Alam, however, made it clear to the state government that it is a weak case.
"Having regards to the seriousness of the matter, we issue notice but you (Maharashtra government) have a weak case," the bench said while issuing notice to Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, the alleged Indian conspirators of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.
The court, however, refused to pass any order on Ajmal Kasab, the sole convict in the case, when the state government pleaded that his letter to the Supreme Court challenging his death sentence should be tagged with this appeal.
"We are taking a step regarding this (Kasab`s letter)," the bench said.
Maharashtra government had moved against the Bombay High Court`s February 21 order upholding the acquittal of Ansari and Ahmed by the trial court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez