SC upholds election of Maharashtra CM Chavan
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld
the election of Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan
for the state Legislative Council which he won unopposed as
the opposition parties did not field any candidates against
A bench of justices R M Lodha and H L Gokhale dismissed
the plea of Shiv Sena MLC Anil Dattatray Parab who had
challenged the Election Commission`s decision to hold the
He had pleaded that the Commission cannot hold the poll
as the election of Congress MLC Sanjay Dutt, who had vacated
his seat for Chavan, was pending in the Bombay High Court.
He had approached the apex court challenging the High
Court`s order giving a green signal to hold the election.
The apex court had on April 26 refused to stay the
election on May 4.
Chavan, earlier a Minister of State in the Prime
Minister`s Office (PMO) who replaced Ashok Chavan as the Chief
Minister of Maharashtra on November 11 last, was required
constitutionally to get elected to either House of the state
Legislature on or before May 11.
Parab, in his special leave petition, submitted the high
court order had failed to take into consideration a Supreme
Court judgement in Telangana Rashtriya Samithi (TRS) case that
a casual vacancy could not be filled when election petitions
were pending in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly