Scribes claim Hazare`s support to agitation
Mumbai: The Patrakar Halla Virodhi Kruti Samiti, a committee formed to protest attacks on journalists, on Friday claimed social activist Anna Hazare has supported its agitation on May 1 to demand a law to make attacks against
them a non-bailable and cognisable offence.
"Hazare has extended his support to our agitation to be
held at Karad," convener of the Samiti, SM Deshmukh said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan hails from Karad,
located in western Maharashtra`s Satara district.
In February, journalists in Maharashtra had staged
demonstrations demanding immediate enactment of the law
against attacks on mediapersons.
"The state government has been assuring us since 2005
that it will bring a legislation on the issue but has not
taken any concrete step," Deshmukh said.
Journalists, while doing their duty in collecting news,
are increasingly facing violent attacks by those representing
powerful vested interests, local goons and underworld dons, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter