Scribes claim Hazare`s support to agitation
Mumbai: The Patrakar Halla Virodhi Kruti Samiti, a committee formed to protest attacks on journalists, on Friday claimed social activist Anna Hazare has supported its agitation on May 1 to demand a law to make attacks against
them a non-bailable and cognisable offence.
"Hazare has extended his support to our agitation to be
held at Karad," convener of the Samiti, SM Deshmukh said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan hails from Karad,
located in western Maharashtra`s Satara district.
In February, journalists in Maharashtra had staged
demonstrations demanding immediate enactment of the law
against attacks on mediapersons.
"The state government has been assuring us since 2005
that it will bring a legislation on the issue but has not
taken any concrete step," Deshmukh said.
Journalists, while doing their duty in collecting news,
are increasingly facing violent attacks by those representing
powerful vested interests, local goons and underworld dons, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing