Sealink function being politicised, says man who invited Big B
Mumbai: The man at the centre of
controversy over superstar Amitabh Bachchan`s presence at the
function to inaugurate second phase of Worli-Bandra sealink
says the issue is being "politicised" by those having vested
"I invited Bachchan as he is an icon and the function
was also about an iconic structure of Mumbai. It is sad that
some vested interests are politicising the issue," Jaidutt
Kshirsagar, Maharashtra PWD (public undertakings) minister,
Soon after Ashok Chavan threw open the second
carriageway of the sealink, commissioned by Maharashtra State
Road Development Corporation (MSRDC), controversy erupted over
Bachchan`s presence at the function, with some local
Congressmen smelling a conspiracy against the Gandhi family
with whom the Bachchans do not enjoy cordial ties they once
Defending the decision to invite the superstar,
Kshirsagar, who is the chairman of MSRDC, said the objective
behind inviting Bachchan and cricketer Sachin Tendulkar was
that the presence of these icons would befit the stature of
the mega structure.
"We could not get confirmation from Tendulkar. We got
confirmation from Bachchan at the last moment. By then,
invitation cards had already been printed. So his name was not
there on the cards," the Minister said.
On the Chief Minister`s statement that he was not
aware if Bachchan was invited, Kshirsagar said, "there was no
need to inform him as the department is headed by me."
Asked if MSRDC, which is nodal agency for many
big-ticket projects, would invite Bachchan for the launch of
any new projects, the Minister said, "why only Bachchan? We
will invite icons as our objective is to showcase the iconic
image of our superstructures.
"After the sealink function on Wednesday, Chavan had
indicated the unhappiness in the party over the invite to
Bachchan, a friend-turned-foe of the party, and exclusion of
some Congress leaders from the function organised by the PWD
Ministry headed by coalition partner NCP.
"Mumbai Congress president Kripashankar Singh has said
invitations were not given to them," Chavan had said.
Singh says he has briefed Congress high command on the
"insult" meted out by the coalition partner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in