Secretariat fire: BJP demands probe by SC judge
Nagpur: BJP national president Nitin Gadkari Friday demanded a probe by a sitting or a retired judge of the Supreme Court into the huge blaze that engulfed `Mantralaya`, the secretariat of Maharashtra, in Mumbai yesterday.
The fire badly exposed the poor disaster management plan of Maharashtra Government, Gadkari said here, adding that credibility of the state government was at stake as rumours were doing the rounds that important files pertaining to various scandals might have been destroyed.
"It would be appropriate for the Prithviraj Chavan government to constitute a probe panel under the chairmanship of a sitting or a retired judge of the Supreme Court to dispel the mystery of the fire," he said.
Ridiculing the ruling Congress-NCP combine for the failure to check the fire safety standards at Mantralaya, the seat of power, Gadkari said the state government was not in the position to protect the people.
Earlier, Gadkari, along with BJP workers, courted arrest here to protest against the corruption and rise in the prices of essential commodities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!