Security arrangements in place ahead of Ayodhya verdict: Maha

Security has been stepped up across Maharshtra and all guardian ministers and MLAs have been asked to be present in their respective districts and constituencies in view of the Allahabad HC verdict on Ayodhya title suits tomorrow.

Updated: Sep 29, 2010, 21:00 PM IST

Mumbai: Security has been stepped up across
Maharshtra and all guardian ministers and MLAs have been asked
to be present in their respective districts and constituencies
in view of the Allahabad High Court verdict on Ayodhya title
suits tomorrow.

"We have taken all the security measures and the guardian
ministers of the respective districts would also help in
maintaining peace," Additional Chief Secretary of Home
Department, Chandra Iyengar said after holding meetings with
officials of the department.

Chief Minister Ashok Chavan had asked the guardian
ministers to remain in the districts on the judgement day.
Also, MLAs have been asked to be in their constituencies, the
official said.
The Government has declared Thursday and Friday as dry
days, the official said.

However, schools in the state would remain open, she
said, adding the decision has been left to the school
authorities.

She said district collectors and other officials have
been authorised to deal with emergencies if any.

Chief Secretary J P Dange said 2.5 lakh security
personnel have been deployed across the state. These include
eight companies of CRPF (around 800 personnel) and 25,000 Home
Guards to tackle any situation arising out of the judgement in
the decades-old dispute.

Meanwhile, Minorities Development Minister Naseem Khan
has appealed to people in the state to maintain peace and
communal harmony.

Security up in Mumbai in wake of Ayodhya verdict

Elaborate security arrangements have
been made in the metropolis to avert any eventuality in view
of Ramjanambhoomi-Babri Masjid title suit verdict to be
delievered by the Allahabad High Court tomorrow.

The city had witnessed large-scale riots post-Babri
Masjid demolition in 1992.

"In the view of the verdict, A general alert has been
sounded. We are geared up to maintain strict vigil across the
city and prevent any disruption in the law and order before or
after the judgement," said Joint Police Commissioner (Law &
Order) Rajnish Seth.
Besides city police force, State Reserve Police Force,
Rapid Action Force and Riot Control Force will be on the job
to control the situation in case of any untoward incident, he
said adding elite forces such as the state`s terror response
teams Force One and Quick Response Teams have been kept on
standby.

Police have served notices to nearly 1200 troublemakers
under section CrPC 149 warning them to refrain from indulging
in any activity that causes law and order problem in the city.

So far, over 4,000 preventive arrests have been made, he
added.

"Prohibitory orders were also issued under section 144 of
CrPC, putting restrictions on the assembly of people and
preventing people from carrying out any activity that hurts
religious sentiments of a community. One should not do
anything such as bursting fire crackers and organising
processions in favour or against the judgement," he said.

Asked if police would fire plastic bullets at
troublemakers in case of any riot-like situation, Seth said,
"We have plastic bullets at all police stations. Police would
take all necessary action to control any eventuality which
would also be captured in cameras enabling police to catch
troublemakers."

Heavy police deployment has been made at sensitive
pockets, the IPS officer said.

"Several meetings with Mohalla committees and religious
leaders have been held appealing them ensure peace and harmony
in their locality," he said, adding that sending bulk text
messages through mobile phones and Internet has been banned.

Seth appealed the citizens to carry out their daily
routine work, do not believe in rumours and help curbing the
spread of rumours.

PTI