Security beefed up in Old City area of Hyderabad
Hyderabad: Security in the Old City area here has been stepped up with a deployment of additional forces including RAF in view of Friday prayers tomorrow, though the situation was peaceful today after communal tensions in several areas over the past week.
Hyderabad police commissioner Anurag Sharma, who held peace committee meeting at Purani Haveli, said the committee played an important role in restoring normalcy.
"In view of Friday prayers tomorrow, additional forces, including RAF and police from other districts, will be deployed near Mecca Masjid and other parts of Old City, and additional CCTV cameras will be installed in sensitive areas," he said.
Patrolling will be intensified and additional pickets will be set up, he said. Similarly, security will also be beefed up near Bhagyalakshmi temple abutting the historical Charminar, Sharma added.
Police so far have registered 18 cases in connection with November 11 violence in Old City and arrested 109 persons, besides taking into preventive custody Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislators, who were later released.
Sporadic incidents of violence had taken place in Old City after the MIM leaders were taken into preventive custody as they were marching towards Bhagyalakshmi temple to hold protests following the decision of the state government to allow covering of a shed over the temple with a tarpaulin sheet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800