Security beefed up in Old City area of Hyderabad
Hyderabad: Security in the Old City area here has been stepped up with a deployment of additional forces including RAF in view of Friday prayers tomorrow, though the situation was peaceful today after communal tensions in several areas over the past week.
Hyderabad police commissioner Anurag Sharma, who held peace committee meeting at Purani Haveli, said the committee played an important role in restoring normalcy.
"In view of Friday prayers tomorrow, additional forces, including RAF and police from other districts, will be deployed near Mecca Masjid and other parts of Old City, and additional CCTV cameras will be installed in sensitive areas," he said.
Patrolling will be intensified and additional pickets will be set up, he said. Similarly, security will also be beefed up near Bhagyalakshmi temple abutting the historical Charminar, Sharma added.
Police so far have registered 18 cases in connection with November 11 violence in Old City and arrested 109 persons, besides taking into preventive custody Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislators, who were later released.
Sporadic incidents of violence had taken place in Old City after the MIM leaders were taken into preventive custody as they were marching towards Bhagyalakshmi temple to hold protests following the decision of the state government to allow covering of a shed over the temple with a tarpaulin sheet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP