Security of foreign students stepped up after Pune blast
Pune: To ensure safety of foreign students, especially after the death of some of them in the German bakery bomb blast, the authorities have enhanced the security measures for 14,000 students from abroad, the largest number in an Indian city.
In a communication addressed to Pune University, police said it has identified places on the sprawling varsity campus that need better security.
Noting that Pune university has students from 104 countries, police has asked the varsity administration to furnish the entire list of its foreign students with their nationalities as they could be viewed as soft targets, police sources said.
In the Pune university, law enforcing agencies have directed the varsity administration to urgently install CCTVs, baggage X-ray scanner in front of the foreign students hostel
apart from posting armed guards there, the sources said.
"We have held meetings with the persons concerned for adequate safety and security of foreign students," Director, Pune University International Students Centre, Vasudha Gadre told a news agency.
Gadre said the Centre had also started regular counselling sessions with the students to deal with any possible problems being faced by them in their stay on the campus or anywhere else in city.
Pune University has foreign students coming from over 100 countries adn the maximum number is drawn from Iran, Africa and the Middle East.
The number of foreign students averages about 14,000, with a male-female ratio of 50/50 percent. These students pursue among other courses, their post graduate and Ph.D in
various disciplines," Gadre said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you