Security stepped up in Mumbai ahead of 26/11 anniversary
Mumbai: Security has been beefed up across Mumbai on the eve of the fourth anniversary of the 26/11 terror attacks, which comes close on the heels of the hanging of lone caught terrorist Mohammad Ajmal Kasab.
"There is no specific threat but we have been alert for (the) past one week," Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said.
"Even though there were `threats` to the financial capital but Mumbai Police are well-prepared to tackle any eventuality," he told reporters at a press conference.
According to sources, security has also been tightened after Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan warned of mounting attacks "in India and anywhere" to avenge Kasab`s hanging.
"Such terror groups have always threatened to take some or (the) other action," Singh said in a lighter vein when asked about the threat perception.
Elaborating further, the police commissioner said "there are four points of preparedness. First is that we should be aware if there is any actual threat or not and if there is threat then we should know its source."
If the threat is real, then its roots should be unearthed and it is also necessary to establish who are supporting the terrorists, he said.
"We have progressed in four years in our intelligence gathering skills," he said, adding that specially-trained cells have been formed at the police station level.
Elaborating on the security arrangements, Singh said there were 39 divisions posted in the city and they have First Response Team (FRT) at their disposal besides five regional additional commissioners of police having QRTs. "Other than that we have Force one, ATS etc," he said.
The Police have visited 400 schools and colleges to help form `Mritunjay` clubs in order to make students aware about terrorism. "We also conduct mock drills regularly," he added.
Search operations, nakabandis and combing operations are also being undertaken, he said.
"In a month or two, the Mumbai Police will start the process of installing CCTV cameras across the city," the police commissioner said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement