Seek resignation of Harshwardhan Patil, Sena leader to CM
Mumbai: Senior Shiv Sena leader Diwakar Raote on Tuesday appealed to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to seek resignation of Cooperatives Minister Harshwardhan Patil over the latter`s "failure to curb rising cases of farmers` suicides".
"Patil had assured in the legislature last year that the legislation against illegal moneylenders would be passed in the House in the monsoon session.
"However, that has not happened. The Centre has rejected the provisions made by the state to curb the malpractice which has resulted in deaths of several farmers," Raote said.
"Patil did not carry out his responsibility of stopping further suicides by farmers and hence should be asked to step down," he said.
"Over 10,000 farmers have committed suicides in the state in the last 12-13 years due to the policy paralysis of the state government," Raote said, in a letter to the chief minister today.
"The winter session is still three months away. I demand that the government issue an ordinance on the legislation against moneylenders in 15 days," Raote said.
The Sena leader`s demand came amid reports that the Maharashtra Money Lending (Regulation) Act, which was meant to stop exploitation of farmers at the hands of rogue moneylenders, has been sent back by the central government for the seventh time in August.
The Central government is understood to have asked the state to reconsider the Bill because it overlapped with several provisions of various central laws including the Reserve Bank of India Act, Companies Act and Banking Regulation Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!