Seize horse carriages plying without license: Bombay HC
Mumbai: Taking a hard stand on `Victoria` horse carriages in Mumbai, the Bombay High Court on Tuesday directed the city police to impound the carriages and horses plying without license and fitness certificate.
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice Anoop Mohta was hearing a PIL filed by the Animals and Birds Charitable Trust, alleging cruel treatment of the horses who pull these carriages, popularly known as Victorias and used for joyrides.
The bench was today informed that out of 130 Victoria owners, the traffic police had renewed the licenses of only 29. However, even those carriages which are yet to renew their licenses or obtain fitness certificates continue to ply.
The court had earlier directed all the carriage owners to apply for renewal of licenses by January 31.
"Despite the deadline several owners have not filed renewal applications. If a particular carriage does not have license then it will not be allowed to ply," the court said.
The court has now directed the police to impound any carriage found plying without license and fitness certificate for the horse.
"If the owner has fitness certificate then the horse may be released but the carriage should be seized for plying without license. The cart can be released after the renewed license is produced," the Chief Justice added.
The court also sought a report from the deputy municipal commissioner on the process of issuance of fitness certificates, after a lawyer appearing for People For Ethical Treatment for Animals (PETA) alleged irregularities in issuance of fitness certificates to horses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing