Seized opium poppy kept at police HQ in Beed
Beed: After the court denied
permission to the police to destruct the seized opium poppy
pods and straws that was secretly found being cultivated in
parts of the district, 11,368 kg of poppy has been sealed and
locked inside police headquarters.
Beed police had approached the Sessions Court last
month, seeking permission to destroy the poppy pods, which was
seized during the raids at few farms in Moha, Vanjarwadi and
Pohner villages of Parli tehsil in the last week of February.
However, the court denied permission to destruct the opium
poppy pods saying it is the prime evidence in the case.
Following this, poppy straws and pods weighing 11,368
kg were sealed in 456 sacks and kept inside a room at the
police headquarters. The work of stuffing the poppy was going
on till late night yesterday, police inspector Sudarshan
"Poppy straws and pods have been packed in sacks and
kept at the police headquarters. Details like the weight of
the poppy pods and the name of the village have been mentioned
on these sacks," Mundhe said.
For about a month, the poppy pods were lying in the
open on the premises of the Beed police headquarters, where
five police inspectors and guards had kept a vigil.
Cases have been registered against 56 farmers for the
illegal cultivation opium poppy in their farms in the
district. So far, 39 farmers and 4 traders have been arrested
in this connection, police said.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Bipasha Basu - Karan Singh Grover wedding: Check out interesting details about mehendi ceremony
- Currently no proposal to merge BSNL and MTNL: Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 23: Delhi Daredevils vs Gujarat Lions — As it happened...
- Mother of all apps? Narendra Modi government is coming up with new app UMANG - It houses 200 apps!
- BJP won't win a single seat if elections are held in Delhi: CM Arvind Kejriwal