Seized opium poppy kept at police HQ in Beed
Beed: After the court denied
permission to the police to destruct the seized opium poppy
pods and straws that was secretly found being cultivated in
parts of the district, 11,368 kg of poppy has been sealed and
locked inside police headquarters.
Beed police had approached the Sessions Court last
month, seeking permission to destroy the poppy pods, which was
seized during the raids at few farms in Moha, Vanjarwadi and
Pohner villages of Parli tehsil in the last week of February.
However, the court denied permission to destruct the opium
poppy pods saying it is the prime evidence in the case.
Following this, poppy straws and pods weighing 11,368
kg were sealed in 456 sacks and kept inside a room at the
police headquarters. The work of stuffing the poppy was going
on till late night yesterday, police inspector Sudarshan
"Poppy straws and pods have been packed in sacks and
kept at the police headquarters. Details like the weight of
the poppy pods and the name of the village have been mentioned
on these sacks," Mundhe said.
For about a month, the poppy pods were lying in the
open on the premises of the Beed police headquarters, where
five police inspectors and guards had kept a vigil.
Cases have been registered against 56 farmers for the
illegal cultivation opium poppy in their farms in the
district. So far, 39 farmers and 4 traders have been arrested
in this connection, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?- Part III
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- Story of courage! Chennai man risks life to save a woman from being raped
- This SCARY video will give you goosebumps: Ghost follows man into taxi - WATCH
- Withdraw MPIC land pooling notification, demand YSRC, Left
- Sheena Bora murder case: Khanna wasn't present during crime, his alibi, lawyers say
- Dengue cases jump to 90 in Delhi, 40 cases last week