Self-styled godman held for raping teenager
Nagpur: A self-styled godman was arrested for allegedly raping a 17-year-old girl here, police said today.
Somraj Gavai allegedly raped the girl at his Bhiwsenkhori residence on the city outskirts two days back.
He was arrested yesterday along with his accomplice Sarika Borkar, the latter being booked for abetment of crime, they said.
Some aphrodisiacs and material used for rituals were seized from Gavai`s place. The duo was produced before a local court yesterday which remanded Gavai in police custody till April 28 and sent Sarika in magisterial custody.
The girl`s uncle had asked Gavai to help her forget her boyfriend with the help of some rituals. Police said Gavai criminally assaulted her twice, while promising to conjure special divine power that would make her uncle and aunt accept her boyfriend.
Later, the girl informed her uncle and aunt about the offence. Her angry relatives and neighbours yesterday beat up the godman. However, police reached the spot and arrested him.
Gavai was booked for rape and under relevant sections of Protection of Children Against Sexual Abuse Act 2012, and Maharashtra Prevention and Eradication of Human Sacrifice and other Inhuman, Evil and Aghori Practices and Black Magic Act, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people