Self-styled godman held for raping teenager
Nagpur: A self-styled godman was arrested for allegedly raping a 17-year-old girl here, police said today.
Somraj Gavai allegedly raped the girl at his Bhiwsenkhori residence on the city outskirts two days back.
He was arrested yesterday along with his accomplice Sarika Borkar, the latter being booked for abetment of crime, they said.
Some aphrodisiacs and material used for rituals were seized from Gavai`s place. The duo was produced before a local court yesterday which remanded Gavai in police custody till April 28 and sent Sarika in magisterial custody.
The girl`s uncle had asked Gavai to help her forget her boyfriend with the help of some rituals. Police said Gavai criminally assaulted her twice, while promising to conjure special divine power that would make her uncle and aunt accept her boyfriend.
Later, the girl informed her uncle and aunt about the offence. Her angry relatives and neighbours yesterday beat up the godman. However, police reached the spot and arrested him.
Gavai was booked for rape and under relevant sections of Protection of Children Against Sexual Abuse Act 2012, and Maharashtra Prevention and Eradication of Human Sacrifice and other Inhuman, Evil and Aghori Practices and Black Magic Act, 2013.
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017
- ISKCON pins hopes on PM Narendra Modi for Krishna temple in Moscow