Self-styled spiritual godman held for fraud
Nagpur: A self-styled spiritual godman was arrested from Kottayam in Kerala for allegedly duping a businesswoman to a tune of Rs 3.65 lakhs in the city, police said on Monday.
The accused, Paul Nair (48), who is also an engineer, was nabbed by a team of police personnel from Imambada police station from Kottayam last week where he was hiding. He was brought here on November 16 and produced at a local court which remanded him to police custody for three days, they said.
An offence against Nair was registered in the police station on May 21, 2013, under section 420 (cheating) of the Indian Penal Code, investigation officer sub-inspector Mukund Kawade said.
As per the complaint lodged by Saroj Aniruddha Barme (35), a resident of Shivshakti Nagar here and owner of an engineering works company, Nair, while he was residing in a city locality here, approached her for selling a grinding machine worth Rs six lakh in 2011.
Nair told Saroj that the she should pay 60 per cent money for order booking and the balance amount after delivery. Saroj had paid Rs 3.65 lakh to Nair in 2011. When she failed to get delivery of the machine, she went to the former`s office after a month only to find it locked.
She then approached Imambada police and lodged the complaint.
During investigation, the police did not get any clue about him for a long time. However, they recently traced his call and managed to find his location in Kerala.
Later, a team of Imambada police nabbed him from his home with the help of Kerala police.
Paul Nair was attached to a prayer group of Catholic church and had allegedly duped many believers assuring them of solving problems in their troubled lives, police said, adding that they are carrying out further investigations in this regard.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price