Sena-BJP MLAs demand copy of Gadgil panel report in Marathi
Mumbai: Shiv Sena-BJP MLAs in the Maharashtra legislative assembly demanded Tuesday that the Gadgil Committee report on the ecology of Western Ghats be made available to them in the Marathi language.
Participating in the debate on the committee`s report through a `calling attention notice`, Pramod Jathar (BJP) said that the document is in English.
"Many villagers cannot understand the report. The government should make a copy available in Marathi," he said.
In its report, the committee stated that the entire stretch of Western Ghats must be considered ecologically sensitive, especially to ensure sustainability of rivers in the Indian peninsula.
MLAs representing Maharashtra`s coastal region objected to the report, as they felt that it would halt the development of the Konkan region.
Following an uproar over the issue, deputy speaker Vasant Purke announced that he would withhold the calling attention notice, to be taken up for discussion later.
Earlier, the house had to be adjourned for 15 minutes when opposition members entered the well of the house, to protest against the government`s decision to postpone discussion on a calling attention notice, about the spate of accidents on the Mumbai-Pune expressway.
The issue raised by Sudhir Mungantiwar (BJP) and others said that 841 people had died in 3464 accident cases on the expressway, during the last seven years.
Public undertakings minister Jaidutt Kshirsagar and state parliamentary affairs minister Harshvardhan Patil said that the delay occurred because information from the home department is being awaited about these accidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past